What are Marionette Lines?
Marionette lines are long vertical wrinkles that traverse from the corners of the lips to the chin. Sometimes these lines go up from the mouth to the nose, though they are very rare. The name is derived from Marionette puppets that have faces with long vertical creases. These creases could give a grim or sad look to the face.
Why do You Get Them?
There are many reasons why one gets these wrinkles:
- Age: As one grows older, the collagen and elastin around the chin and cheek area reduces. The skin begins to sag and wrinkles start forming. It could also happen when the fatty deposits in the face decrease due to advancing age.
- Genetics: Genetics also plays a big role in the appearance of these lines. Your face may be clear and completely free of wrinkles, but if your parents or grandparents had marionette lines, then there are lots of chances that you too may get them.
- Diet: Your diet determines your skin’s health. A good and healthy diet loaded with vitamins and minerals will keep your skin looking younger for longer. On the other hand, if your diet is not healthy and generally filled with junk food, then the skin may not receive the right nourishment it needs. So, it will begin to sag at an earlier age.
- Environmental Conditions: The skin in the face is the most vulnerable as it is most often exposed to a number of environmental conditions. Smoke, sunlight and other pollutants have a detrimental effect on the skin and could lead to early appearance of marionette lines.
- Smoking: Smoking is also another cause of these facial lines. It narrows the arteries that carry nutrients and oxygen to all the parts of the body, leaving your skin looking dry and pruned.
How to Avoid Marionette Lines
Prevention is better than cure. There are many simple methods you can follow to prevent or delay the formation of these wrinkles. Some of them are listed below:
- Protect Your Skin from Sunlight: The UV rays of the sun are known to have harmful effects on the skin. Protect your skin with a good sunscreen, especially if you are in a line of work that requires you to spend lots of time outside.
- Moisturize Your Skin: Dry skin is more prone to wrinkles. Keep your skin looking young and supple by regularly moisturizing it. Moisturizing may not prevent the lines from forming, but helps delay the process.
- Eat the Right Food: Eat healthy foods such as lean meat, vegetables and fruits filled with omega 3-fatty acids and antioxidants. They build your body’s strength and keep your skin looking young.
- Set up an Exercise Routine: It is also good to follow a regular fitness regime. Exercise wakes up all the parts of the body and improves blood circulation. It also helps detoxify your body, leaving you with cleaner and healthier skin.
How to Get Rid of Marionette Lines?
From lotions to dermal fillers to surgery, a range of treatments are available for reducing these facial lines. Surgically, these wrinkles are treated using a multi-modal technique that lifts, resurfaces and fills the skin. Other treatment techniques lift the face by adding fat or any other dermal filler. Dermal fillers are made of biodegradable, non-toxic materials, so they don’t have any harsh effect on your skin. Plus, these fillers give you a natural look. Moreover, the dermal filler procedure can be done in less than half an hour. The most common cosmetic treatments for marionette lines are Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane, Radiesse and Prevelle Silk, which use hyaluronic acid as a filler. This chemical is designed to closely resemble the body’s hyaluronic acid for easy and effortless acceptance. In these treatment techniques, the filler is injected just below the skin’s surface near the wrinkles. The procedure is quick, relatively painless and offers long-lasting effects. Plenty of cosmetic treatments and dermal fillers are available for marionette lines. But before you choose one, consult your doctor to ensure that there is no unwanted or less side effects.
Is There Any Natural/Home Remedy?
Yes, there are some home remedy methods that you can follow to prevent marionette lines. One such technique is facial gymnastics. It involves doing a series of yoga and facial exercises to help reduce the lines on the face. Laugh wrinkle workouts, face toning massages and acupressure treatments are thought to have beneficial effects.